Thursday, November 23, 2006

Deer Camp 2006 Postgame Report

Monday and Tuesday marked my 2nd year to deer hunt. Last year I was invited out to Barbour County and got addicted, even though I didn't see anything. So I had been counting down the days to the start of this year's deer (gun) season and bought my first rifle a month ago from Street's Hardware store in Masontown, WV. After much research on the internet and talking to other hunters, I settled on a Ruger M77 (walnut stock) chambered for .25-06. After church Sunday morning, I loaded up the Jeep and headed to Barbour County. Upon arrival I joined my six compadres for the hunt as we scouted out the deer stands and made necessary repairs. I chose to hunt in the same stand I used in 2005, which was situated close to a gas line and several intersecting deer trails.

Monday I sat in that stand from 6:00 am to 5:00 pm and only saw one doe around 8:00 am. There were 4 bucks harvested out of our group on Monday, the largest being a 7 point. On Tuesday, I headed back out and spent most of the day in the woods, not seeing anything until 2 doe appeared about 40 yards from my stand. Not having seen much of anything for two days and wanting meat for the freezer, I dropped one of the doe in its tracks. This doe represented the first wild game I have ever killed and I was pumped. Thanks to good coaching, I was able to successfully field dressed the doe without losing my lunch. I am not including the picture of the doe because I wouldn't want to brag about the size :)

Here are some highlights and awards I would like to give out for the trip: (initials are used instead of names to protect the innocent)

Best steaks: large T-Bones on Sunday night grilled by MW

Most interesting beverage: Logan County moonshine (I didn't partake :) brought by RP

Most interesting appetizer: fresh cherries marinated in Logan County moonshine (I didn't partake :) brought by RP

Best breakfast item: eggs made to order each morning by MW

Shoutouts are going out to:

KW for coaching me through field dressing my first deer

DD for the best hunting stories and pre-hunt encouragement

RP and CP for ATV transportation, deer pick-ups, and flushing out deer and turkey

PW for building great fires in the lodge during the evenings

All in all, Deer Camp 2006 was a great experience and I'm looking forward to getting back out in the woods to try to harvest a buck before season's end.





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your deer hunt. So far, all I've seen are doe and you can't shoot doe here in Rusk County until...well, today. And of course, I didn't get to go today. So maybe later. Anyway, I'm glad you are enjoying hunting. It is a great "relaxer" to me!

Anonymous said...

Good job Russ!

I hope you can harvest another one before the season is over.

My son Jocab too his first deer on Thanksgiving Day. It was a very large doe.

See you at Panera.

Anonymous said...

Wow - Russ The Mighty Hunter CONGRATS!

Anonymous said...

In my previous comment that should say: "Jacob took".

Sorry for the error.

Anonymous said...

GJ (Good Job) RK, is that a GT (GoTee) I see... JS hehehe ;)

Russ said...

Jason, that represented 3 days of scruffage, but there were still bare spots, so no beard is forthcoming. I didn't want to look like last year's Mountaineer. :)

Anonymous said...

Too Funny!

Anonymous said...

Awesome. I'm glad for you!

Anonymous said...

I am jealous. i haven't hunted in a few years. When I was in college, I hunted 7 days a week. Yep, I even went before church on Sunday mornings. I mostly duck hunted. Enjoy the venison!