Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Return of the Fajita


After 3 years of living with a certain void in my life, the fajita made a glorious return today at lunch. Yes, the fajita. You Morgantown restaurant connouisseurs are probably scratching your head and saying, "We have fajitas in Morgantown" but I must wholeheartly disagree. I'm sorry, Rio Grande and Los Mariachis, but what you have been serving to the general public are poor excuses for true fajitas. Sliced chicken and beef stuck in a tortilla does not constitute a fajita. It's just sliced chicken and beef in a tortilla.

Today, Belinda and I celebrated the opening of Chili's Restaurant at University Town Center. For months I have longed for the Chili's franchise to come to town and now they are here. Chili's holds a special place in our hearts dating back to numerous Sunday nights of the past spent hanging out with our Marshall Drive BC friends after Sunday evening services, raising cain and listening to Paul complain about automatic gratuities for groups of 8 and more. As we entered the building today, we were comforted by the familiar surroundings: the tiled tabletops, the chalk art, familiar menus, and the aromas from the grill. The fajitas came out sizzling, creating a firestorm that caught the attention of the neighboring booths. And they came with all the necessary fixings...sour cream, good guacamole, pico de gallo, shredded cheese, black beans and rice. Real, genuine, fajitas. They were delicious, and today it was just like old times.

4 comments:

David M. Coe said...

Russ,

I haven't had my supper yet, could you please stop describing, in detail, your lunch.

:o)

Dave

Russ said...

we should go do lunch soon. My treat.

Sheff said...

The comment about Paul totally cracked me up. I can just hear him now, "What is this all about?, Good night, people!"

Bryan Alston said...

Good old Paul...what's he up to these days?