Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Retro CCM


Don't know what prompted this, but I'm sitting here riding a retro trip through the contemporary Christian songs of my past. Twenty years ago, I spent many a Sunday night after church listening to cool Christian bands of the '70's and '80's in my good friend Trey's 1984 Nissan. Trey was a great friend, a sound tech kind of guy, and had just put in a new Pioneer cassette deck with "Dolby B". Cutting edge stuff at the time. We listened to various bands and singers including: Harvest, Dallas Holm, Keith Green, Don Francisco, Petra, Isaac Air Freight and others.

Since I've been doing a message series on spiritual warfare, I thought of a hilarious song we used to listen to performed by Keith Green which was called "Dear John Letter (to the devil)". Here are the lyrics to the third verse which you might enjoy...

Well I believe in Jesus and what He said He's gonna do
He'll put an apple in your lyin mouth and cook you in a sulfer stew...one that'll never be through (Is it soup yet? No) Ah, but if he hadn't rescued me then I'd be down there cookin' too
Oh if Jesus hadn't rescued me then I'd be cookin' right next to you

I used to lie awake at night and see your face on the ceilin' what a great feelin' I have
When I think of how you're gonna get yours at the end of the world at the end of the world
Oh at the end of the world

By the way, "Dear John Letter" is available on ITunes. I'd be curious to find out if any of you listened to any of the above mentioned artists back in the day, and I would like to know about your favorite CCM artists and songs from the '70's and '80's. About Trey...he was a great friend, Sunday School teacher, and a positive influence in my life. He passed away several years ago from lymphoma. I'm thankful that God placed him in my life for that time and season.

4 comments:

David M. Coe said...

Russ,

What do you mean "back in the day"?
I still listen to these TODAY.

Petra is one of my all time favorite bands and I still listen to them today. Bob Hartman is/was an awesome song writer. We have seriously considered having our choir sing some of his songs.

I like Rez Band and listen to them today, although their lyrics are more for the unbeliever and not as edifying to the Christian as Petra.

I think Keith Green was a great Christian and awesome song writer and I still listen to Keith Green today as well.

How can you argue with Don Francisco's biblical lyrics? I listened to both he and Dallas Holmes. Although not much recently.

I liked Barry McGuire, 2nd Chapter of Acts, Larry Norman, Bob Dylan (when he did his Christian albums), Steve Camp, Degarmo & Key, Chuck Girard, Phil Keaggy, Lamb, and
Randy Stonehill.

Anyway - Petra & Rez Band are in my current collection and I listen to them on a weekly basis.

Surprised!?

Dave

David M. Coe said...

http://www.one-way.org/jesusmusic/

Russ said...

Dave,

You'll have to let me raid your music collection sometime. It's hard to find some of those artists today. I am familiar with many of the artists and bands you mentioned. Good stuff.

Sean Dietrich said...

Hello,
Great blog. I am a young musician who has been heavily influenced by Keith Green. I've performed with Randy Stonehill and Matt Ward, and I would be honored if you would check out my music. All my music is free on my site. Anyway, just thought that I'd share.

Thanks,
-Sean
_________________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my music is free."