Wednesday, May 02, 2007

God Does Great Things...

when we risk and when we pray. Examples:

Abraham leaves his country to follow God...risk
David goes against Goliath...risk
Daniel refuses to eat the king's meat...risk
Gideon obeys God and whittles his army from 30,000 to 300 men...risk
The 12 leave everything and follow Jesus...risk
Peter preaches to the ones who killed Jesus at Pentecost...risk
Paul's missionary journeys...risk

Alan Hirsch call this risk being in the state of "liminality". This week, my LTG reading is in the book of Daniel. In Chapter 2, Nebuchadnezzar is ready to execute all of the astrologers, soothsayers, and wise men, including Daniel, unless they can not only interpret his dream, but tell him what he dreamed. I noticed that before Daniel jumps headfirst into a RISK situation, he engages God in serious prayer with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. Verse 18 says, "Daniel urged them to plead for mercy from the God of heaven concerning this mystery, so that he and his friends might not be executed with the rest of the wise men of Babylon."

This passage is busting my chops right now. How many times am I guilty of playing it safe, being soft when it comes to taking a big risk for God, and relying on my abilities instead of begging God for his mercy? Lord, I beg you right now...save the city of Morgantown. Constantly remind me of my desperate need for your intervention. Use me to keep people from going to hell. Give me a burning passion for people in this city. Amen.

2 comments:

Kevin Higgins said...

You're right Russ - I'm reading through Paul's ministry right now and am amazed what he was willing to endure and attempt to proclaim the gospel. We've so sanitized our work that our greatest risks are offending the saved in our weekly sermons. God help us - and thanks for the challenging post.

Jeff said...

Thanx for this post. I needed this. I am not begging God for interevention and mercy enough. I am scared to believe God will do huge things, because I am afraid of what that may cost me. God help us take the RISK!

Thanx!