Monday, October 15, 2007

Update

This past week has been a whirlwind of activity. I just got back into town this morning from the Eastern Panhandle over the weekend. On Saturday I officiated a wedding in Gerrardstown (close to Martinsburg). The happy couple both attend StoneBridge and the bride and I grew up in the same church (FBC Inwood). Belinda and the kids got to go with me on this trip, which made the trip wonderful for me. Friday night, Belinda and I had a working date, getting to go to the rehearsal dinner at the Bavarian Inn together in Shepherdstown minus the kids. Anytime you can have dinner with your wife, eat Filet Mignon, crabcake, and other delicacies, and it's free....IT's A GOOD THING. The wedding took place at the bride's family's home, which is beside beautiful orchards and autumn cornfields. We had a great time and got to reconnect with some old acquaintances from the area.

Early Sunday morning, I travelled (minus the family) over to the Baltimore area to speak at Arundel Baptist Church. They are having a Missions Emphasis month and invited me to come over and give them a glimpse of what God is doing in Morgantown, and preach. Pastor Myers and the church presented our church with a generous offering. I had a wonderful time there, and they topped the morning off by taking me out to eat at Damon's Grill (best ribs around).

Sunday evening I gave a church planting update and preached at FBC Inwood, our sending church. After a full exhausting day, I feel like I did a really poor job. The Powerpoint presentation I was ready to show didn't work, I gave a lousy report, and my message seemed really disjointed, and as Tommy Duke would say, I felt like I was preaching underwater. Out of 8 pages of notes, I preached about 2 1/2. (Note to self: If you're preaching using the KJV, make sure your notes aren't in NIV!) Anyway, several folks said the message really made an impact on them, so that just goes to show you how God can use the ordinary to impact the lives of people. The Pastors and the people at FBC Inwood are so wonderful and encouraging..it is always a blessing to spend time with them.

No comments: