Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Dolly Sods Bear Warning

I like to include local oddities on this blog, and like to share hiking/camping adventures with you, which I haven't been able to do much of lately. I thought I'd share this one with you today. This is the first time I've heard of aggresive bear activity since we moved here 4 years ago.

"Dolly Sods Bear Warning

A black bear has recently destroyed a backpacker's occupied tent and backpack off of the Blackbird Knob Trail. A smaller yearling bear has been invading Red Creek Campground and going through the trash cans. Also, A hiker reported being bluff charged 5 times by a bear last week while in the Sods. He scared it off all 5 times. Don't know the location of that one.The Forest Service has posted signs at all trailheads recommending that tent camping be discontinued until the problem has been resolved.

Contact the Potomac Ranger District before planning any trips there at 304-257-4488 to check on the status of the situation."

2 comments:

Billy Howard said...

When is bear season? I would really like to get a bear with a bow. I need a bear rug in the house!

Russ said...

me too bro.